Saturday, August 22, 2009

Update: H1N1, Teaching, Moodle, and Children

When Saturday hit this week I was ready. All of the work to make teaching through our H1N1 school closure possible was taking a toll. I can enjoy the weekend now!

I now have online contact with approximately half of my students. Maybe a little more. This is a slight improvement from what I had 48 hours after school was shut down. They have been either logging in on Moodle and doing their work or emailing me and asking me what they are supposed to be doing. I tell them to log into Moodle and check out their assignments. So far so good. It will be interesting to have a conversation with the other half of my students and find out what happened to them. Was it that they ended up in places that did not have Internet access (highly unlikely in South Korea), was it that they were forced to travel with family, was it miscommunication about class expectations or misunderstanding. (I do not think I said 'Have a great vacation' as the school was being shut down.) I am eager to get the student perspective on this week.

As for my perspective I obviously have mixed feelings about being able to continue teaching, and parenting though this school closure. Technology is a double edged sword, and for me this has cut both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment